The Digital Government Office
The digitalisation of processes and regulatory requirements characterise the area of tension for public institutions and authorities and present them with daily challenges. Organisations must successfully implement these issues in a balanced way with limited resources and funding.
Project management is decisive for success
Norman Frischmuth, Managing Director of proventis GmbH and PM expert, regularly gives webinars for public institutions and authorities. The following statements come from the participants and describe the challenges in the public sector:
- Resource requirements
- A lot of projects and no priority
- Multiple projects at the same time
- Implementation of project management
- Regular work v project work
- Stressed staff
- No understanding that not all projects can run at the same time
- Difficulty solving problems
- Limited budget / resources
- High bureaucracy in PM
- Changes in project mandate
- Keeping knowledge in the team
Your goal: Efficient multi-project management
Strategic + political goals are brought into line with operational projects using portfolio management. The annual planning of strategic issues based on specific measures is supported. IT and specialist departments provide resources for the important projects according to their availability and the required skills. This is done in coordination with the departments and is documented so that future bottlenecks can be avoided.
Clearly structured coordination and approval processes increase the efficiency of all projects and avoid friction losses for all participants.
The legal framework is also constantly evolving. This usually triggers action as well. This makes it even more important to highlight and prioritise all pending measures and projects within a weighting process. The goal must be to provide decision-makers with facts that help avoid contradictory decisions. This conserves the utilisation of project resources. Decisions can be made on the allocation of resources and budget based on a solid factual basis.
Blue Ant gives your public institution or authority more facts for decision-making and discussion
The variety and diversity of projects presents a challenge. In this context, project eligibility checks and the prioritisation of projects play an important role. Regulatory projects, which are fixed in terms of deadlines and sometimes also content, reduce the room for manoeuvre of other projects. This makes it even more important to prioritise all projects in order to be able to allocate resources and budgets in a strategically sound manner.
The use of resources and especially the balance between line and project capacities is also crucial. The goal must be to obtain an overview of the resource availability and requirements. This is the only way to implement strategic medium- and long-term planning of portfolios.
How does Blue Ant support you?
- Blue Ant provides a freely configurable project life cycle directly as a workflow. For each project category or project type, you can map different development degree models or maturity models. Everything is possible in Blue Ant, from the project idea to project evaluation, prioritisation, clarification, planning, implementation and operation. Various stakeholders can be integrated in a four-eye or multi-eye approach.
- Blue Ant's flexibility regarding free fields and screens, which you can define yourself, enables the mapping of complex scoring models and the integration of scoring into all relevant evaluations and overviews of Blue Ant.
- Blue Ant's resource management supports you in the search for suitable resources, in staff request and approval processes, in team planning and in the simulation of utilisation scenarios in the portfolio.